PDF File oversized in 6.2.288

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
Francisco Faz

Post by Francisco Faz »

In this new version 6.2.288 the PDF file is more big as before (5X at less)... please check this...

Francisco Faz

Post by Francisco Faz »

Forget it... reinstalled and all is OK now... mea culpa!

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

glad you've solved this

Follow us to stay updated:

wsnedden

Post by wsnedden »

I recently downloaded the 6.2.288 and after running it for a .doc file type that was 1594 kb the pdf result has 2499 kb. I did NOT check the "embed fonts" check box. I think it did it anyway!!?? I haven't looked yet, but I am going to try to download the prvious version. Has anyone else had this problem? The previous version generated a pdf with 2038kb from a file that was 18,000kb.
Is this a bug?

wsnedden

Post by wsnedden »

pdf out from dopdf is larger than the original. When source file (.doc) was 1594kb output pdf was 2499kb. I reinstalled 6.2.287 and re-ran a 21,163kb file through dopdf and the result was a file size of 1961kb [a good compression!).
Reran original 1594kb file again and got same result as previous i.e. 2499kb. It seems like there should have been some compression not an expansion???
Anyone got any clues as to why this might be ok?

Claudiu (Softland)

If I understand correctly, the problem is that a word document of 1594kb results in a pdf of 2499kb, this happening with the previous version and with the current one too. However another doc of about 20mb results in a 2mb pdf file.
I don't see anything abnormal here, because it all depends on what the word doc contains. If it has images that were resized in it (not externally) than the pdf will include the entire size, that's why the increase in size instead of decrease. You can see some tips on reducing the size of the pdf here - Adjust images in the original document to reduce the size of the resulting PDF (the first part of the article applies to dopdf too, and that should help reduce the size of the pdf).

wsnedden

Post by wsnedden »

Thank you for the help. I went back to the original docs and did my resize there then I copied & pasted into the larger doc to be pdf'd. dopdf print and the result was from a file of 1666kb output was 896kb. Yahoo! issue resovled.
My life can go back to its normal state of relative happiness. Good job!

Claudiu (Softland)

Glad that keeping the PDF filesize down worked.

As for "...its normal state of relative happiness", I'm afraid I can't help, but if I ever find a solution for my case I'll post it here ;).