Generated PDF contains unreadable text

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
wroberte

Post by wroberte »

Generated PDF contains garbled characters.
For example, go to the following webpage:

java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/mysql_java/
You should get a webpage with an article entitled "Using the MySQL Connector/J JDBC Driver With the Java SE Platform".
Click "Print-friendly Version" in the upper right corner and create a PDF via doPDF.
When the PDF is generated, the "code fragments" shown in the light-blue shaded areas on the source webpage are illegible garbage.
Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Other than this problem, doPDF is a great product.
Running on Win XP Pro SP3 with Version 6.3 Build 308.

wroberte

Post by wroberte »

Update:

The problem only seems to occur when using Firefox (currently using Firefox 3.5.2) to initiate printing via doPDF. PDF files are generated with legible text when printing is done from Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11, Google Chrome 2.0.172.43 and Opera 9.64.
I've reported this to the Firefox support site:

support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=435061&forumId=1

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Thanks for letting us know, if someone else runs into the same problem we'll know to direct them to the firefox support site.

Follow us to stay updated:

abax

Post by abax »

FWIW, exactly the same garbled code fragments occur when using PDFCreator instead of doPDF (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) from FF 3.5.2. Using IE works ok (both doPDF & PDFCreator).

Edit:

I found out that the garbled text is caused by the ccs-style of the code fragment:

code, kbd, tt, pre {

font-family:Monaco,Courier,"Courier New",monospace;

}

Removing the Monaco and Courier fonts solves the problem.

code, kbd, tt, pre {

font-family:"Courier New",monospace;

}