doPDF opens wrong reader when "printing" to doPDF

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
David12846

Post by David12846 »

I use the Foxit Reader for viewing pdf files. I also have Adobe Reader installed (Don't ask why, but I think Adobe Reader got installed when I installed Nuance PDF Converter Assistant. I may get rid of Nuance PDF Converter Assistant. I don't like it).
When I print using doPDF, the resulting PDF file is opened (No problem there. I like seeing the result). The problem is, it opens in Adobe Reader! My PDF file association in "Control Panel>>Folders" is set for Foxit Reader. Why does doPDF open the file in Acrobat instead of Foxit?
(BTW... If I open a PDF file from Windows Explorer, it will open properly in Foxit Reader).

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,
We tried to reproduce the behavior but we couldn't as the PDF file is opened with the correct application set as the default for PDF files after the PDF conversion.
Please go to the Folder Options > File types and make sure the PDF type is set to be opened with the right application.
Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated:

David12846

Post by David12846 »

I checked "Folder Options > File Type". I scrolled down the extensions to PDF. The file type associated with it said "PDF File". I clicked on the PDF entry. Under the window it said "Opens with: (icon) Foxit Reader 4.1".
I noticed there was an extension that displays the Adobe icon. It was "PDFXML" and the file type said "Adobe Acrobat". Clicking on it, it says it opens in Adobe Reader. I sorted the "File Types" and scrolled down to Adobe. The files that open in Adobe Reader are: FDF, XFDF, PDFXML, ACROBATSECURITYSETTINGS, and XDP. IF I have time later today, maybe I'll change these one at a time and see if doPDF prints to Foxit.

David12846

Post by David12846 »

I read something in the tutorial about "Why Files Open in Acrobat, Not Reader" ( http://www.dopdf.com/forum/topic/why-fi ... not-reader ) . That User discovered the problem using Sysinternals' Process Monitor. I also have Sysinternals' Process Monitor. Maybe I should look and see what processes I'm using and investigate it.

David12846

Post by David12846 »

I made some changes to my registry as suggested by a reply on the Adobe Forums, but it didn't help.
I uninstalled Adobe Reader from my XP and my problem was solved!

I then re-installed Adobe Reader. Even though Foxit Reader is still listed as my default Reader in both Foxit and in Control Panel>>Folder options, doPDF opens the file in Adobe during the verification that the PDF was created.
I noticed I'm using doPDF v5.0 . I checked the dopdf website and it looks like version 7.1 is the current version. I also noticed the last line of the page says:

"doPDF is a free PDF converter, it is not a PDF viewer. To view PDF files you will need the free Adobe Reader." Apparently doPDF will open the file (for verification) in Adobe Reader rather than my default reader :(

David12846

Post by David12846 »

Well.... I uninstalled doPDF v5.0, then manually removed a few dopdf files that remained according to instructions elsewhere in this forum. I had to reboot before I could remove a couple of the files however.
I then installed the latest version of doPDF (version 0.7.1.343). And guess what happened?

My problem was solved! When I use doPDF, the file opens ("for verification" that it was created) in Foxit Reader. I also saw a check box where I could tell doPDF NOT to open the file (NICE!).
When I click on the newly created PDF in Windows Explorer, it opens in Foxit Reader.
And I also have Adobe Reader 9.3, which I re-installed a few hours ago! (I have Adobe Reader primarily so thumbnails of the PDF's appear in Windows Explorer). BTW... When I click on my Adobe Reader icon on my desktop, it wants me to Accept or Decline the TOS. I'm not going to Accept it. It might "rake me over the coals" and start opening things up in Adobe!!

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,
I am afraid this isn't an issue directly related with the doPDF application but rather with the viewers involved and probably certain settings related to the Windows installation. As i explained in the previous post doPDF simply sends what it converts to the default PDF reader registered on the Windows OS.

We tested this several times with both programs installed and when switched from one another as the the default application for opening PDF files, the created PDF always opens with the correct application.
Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated:

David12846

Post by David12846 »

By removing the older version I had (v5.0) and installing the current version (v7.1), the problem went away (I'm aware when there's a problem, always make sure you have the current version of a program). The older version may have played a role in the problem. I say may, because doPDF/Foxit use to work properly until I updated Adobe Reader a few weeks ago. I'm more inclined to blame the Adobe Reader update, but the older version of doPDF may have been missing some code to prevent Adobe from "taking over".
Anyway, I'm glad everything is back to normal with my doPDF. And thanks for a great product.