doPDF 6.0.260 installer will modify "Path" type to "REG_SZ"

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
Natori

Post by Natori »

[Big Bug]6.0.260 doPDF installer will modify Environment Variable "Path" type to "REG_SZ".
"Path" type modify to "REG_SZ", In the "Path" variable(%SystemRoot%,etc.) will be invalid.
%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

Security Center cannot surveillance firewall and anti-virus.
%SystemRoot%\system32

Command Prompt(cmd.exe) on Default Path(%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%) cannot run system tool.(help, chkdsk, format, etc.)

Natori

Post by Natori »

Solution
Copy Path values content

Del Path values

Create values, Name "Path", Type "REG_EXPAND_SZ"

Double click on "Path", paste, click OK.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi,

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

- before installing doPDF the Path system variable was saved in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment) as a REG_EXPAND_SZ type

- after you installed dopdf, the type of this Path variable changed from REG_EXPAND_SZ to REG_SZ which caused problems
I tested this with doPDF 6.0.261 (performs the same steps during install as build 260) under a Windows XP (SP2) OS and I cannot reproduce it. Furthermore, doPDF does not add or modify any Environment Variables, it only reads them. So I doubt this was changed by dopdf, make sure you haven't installed a different program in the meanwhile that changed it - plus, this is the only report of this type until now, if it was a bug in dopdf I'm sure we would have gotten several reports.

Follow us to stay updated:

Natori

Post by Natori »

Before doPDF
Path REG_EXPAND_SZ

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... dopdf1.png

(Temporary Pic URL)
After doPDF
Path REG_SZ

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>Add C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

Windows Default install Path(C: partition) users cannot experience any Security Center problem.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... dopdf2.png

(Temporary Pic URL)
I install "PrimoPDF" and "PDF reDirect" no this problem. (XP SP3)

Natori

Post by Natori »

dopdf.exe

doPDF 6 printer Setup (0.6.0.260)

CRC:31707995

MD5:480f940fa63dbfd2a613539ba97b4832

Claudiu (Softland)

You're right Natori, indeed the path variable type was changed to REG_SZ but only if in the original Path variable the path to wbem was %SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM (all caps on wbem). Initially I tested it on my system but my path was %SystemRoot%\system32\Wbem and nothing happened - after I changed it manually to WBEM I was able to reproduce it.
Anyway, thank you for reporting this as it allowed us to fix it. It would be great if you could download the test build 262 and see if it works ok - http://www.dopdf.com/download/setup/dopdf.exe

I tested it here and the bug is fixed.
We'll probably make this release official tomorrow or on Thursday. Once again thank you.

Natori

Post by Natori »

Install perfectly fine, Many thanks for your work. :)

Claudiu (Softland)

Good to hear it's working, we'll make the final release today or tomorrow. Thanks for your help.