Bad Installation of doPDF 8.0.915

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
DERoss

Bad Installation of doPDF 8.0.915

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7 (x64)

I downloaded the full installer dopdf_full.exe from http://download.dopdf.com/download/setup/dopdf-full.exe. I then uninstalled doPDF 7.3.398. Installing doPDF 8.0.915 went far more quickly than I expected, only a few seconds. When it was through, there was no doPDF in my printer list and no doPDF.exe on my C-drive. My [Start > Programs] did not have doPDF.

DERoss

Re: Bad Installation of doPDF 8.0.915

Post by DERoss »

At least this time, I was able to uninstall whatever portion of doPDF 8.0.915 was installed. Even novaPDF was removed and did not reappear. Then I installed doPDF 7.3.398 again.

I have a log of the original uninstallation of doPDF 7.3.398 and attempted installation of doPDF 8.0.915, showing all the changes to the Windows registry and what files were added, deleted, and changed. I have also captured the logs generated by doPDF 8.0.915 itself when I tried to install it. (Normally, the latter logs would be deleted every time I do my weekly system-wide backups.)

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

The error with your initial build installation was due to problems when trying to stop the print spooler service and you also had some missing registry keys.
If everything uninstalled correctly this time, you should try installing build 915 again (assuming you restarted your computer in the meantime). If an error will occur, this time you'll see that the installer will show you a support email to contact ([email protected]) and you can report the new problem again also attaching the log files.

Unfortunately the existing logs you have wouldn't be useful since the installation of the previous build was erroneous. Sorry for all the troubles but just so you know, based on your report we were able to fix an existing problem in build 907

DERoss

Post by DERoss »

I did the following:

1. I successfully removed doPDF 7.2.355 (which the installer said was 7.3.398).

2. I rebooted.

3. I requested the installation of doPDF 8.0.915 (at least, that is what the installer says) from a full-installer file.

4. I rebooted again.

I got neither a doPDF printer in my set of printers nor a doPDF executable.

NOTE: During the attempted installation of doPDF 8.0.915, there was a checkbox to install plugins for Windows Office. I did not check it. I tried installing again but this time checking that checkbox; the checkbox would not be checked! I also tried using the stub installer without any better results. With the stub installer, however, I saw a very faint check mark in the checkbox for the Office plugin option, so faint that I had to strain my eyes to see it. Many knowledgeable users would consider such an option to be malware.

DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Based on the topic "Troubleshooting doPDF install/uninstall errors" (started by Softland on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:44 am), I tried the following:

1. Stop print spooler, which also stops fax service.

2. Remove doPDF 7.

3. Reboot.

4. On rebooting, print spooler and fax service restarted. Stop them again.

5. Install doPDF 8.0.915.

6. Restart print spooler and fax service.

The result was as before: No doPDF printer in my list of printers. No dopdf.exe file created. No doPDF functionality.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Thank you for trying this, we're working on a new version with a different troubleshooting solution.