Adobe Reader does not automatically launch and display PDF

Post here if you have problems installing or using doPDF.
RLS

Post by RLS »

I installed doPDF7 and Adobe Reader 10.1.3.

I selected "Open PDF Reader" in the Save PDF window.

When I select "OK" to print the file, the file is converted to PDF but Adobe Reader does not automatically launch.

I uninstalled then reinstalled both doPDF7 and Adobe Reader 10.1.3.

The problem remains.
I'm using Windows 7 on a PC.
Thank You

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,
Please let us know the exact doPDF version and build you are using for the conversion. The information is on the About page on the doPDF Printing Preferences window.
Also you can try to completely uninstall doPDF using this article as guidance http://www.dopdf.com/forum/topic/comple ... ling-dopdf and after that do a clean installation.
We have made some testing with the latest version and the files are opened without issues.
Thank you.

Follow us to stay updated:

RLS

Post by RLS »

The exact doPDF version displayed in the About page is 7.3 Build 379.
Thank You

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi,
Have you tried what we suggested and remove then cleanly re-install doPDF on your computer following the article?
Thank you.

RLS

Post by RLS »

I tried what you suggested. I completely uninstalled doPDF using the link you provided above. I went into the Windows/System/ folders and manually deleted the doPDF files you listed. I then downloaded and re-installed doPDF7. Pages print to PDF but Adobe Reader will not automatically launch. I have to launch Adober Reader manually.
Thank You

Claudiu (Softland)

Hello,
We made multiple tests and all the PDF files were opened successfully. We had a situation like this some time ago and in that case, the PDF file format was setup in Windows to be opened by a different PDF reader rather than Adobe Reader. After that reader was uninstalled, somehow the format did not change the default application in Windows to Adobe Reader, so even if we had set it in doPDF to be opened after printing, it did not. So please check your PDF file extension properties in Windows and make sure that Adobe Reader is set as default application to open PDF files as that part may not work as expected on your PC. To do this you need to access Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs -> Set associations. Make sure the description is Adobe Acrobat Document and the default program is Adobe Reader.
Thank you.

RLS

Post by RLS »

I went to Control Panel/Default Programs/Set Associations per your instructions above. The extension .pdf has the description "PDF File", not "Adobe Acrobat Document". But the current default is Adobe Reader. I don't see anyway to change the description from PDF File to Adobe Acrobat Document.
One more thing that might assist. I'm using a brand new Toshiba laptop.
Thanks for continuing to search for a solution!

Claudiu (Softland)

Hi,
This is the same situation as the one described above. Adobe reader is not properly installed and related as the default application for opening pdf files, this is why you cannot open the document after converting it. One solution would be to keep reinstalling the Adobe Reader app until the file description shows Adobe Acrobat Document and not PDF File as it shows now. Another is to search for any registry records related to the pdf extension that may have been left over from a previous reader installation and remove those as it may conflict with the current PDF application.

RLS

Post by RLS »

I reinstalled Adobe Reader again, with the same problem resulting. Since I have no idea how to search for registry records, I decided to install and try Foxit Reader. After loading Foxit and printing to PDF, Foxit launched automatically. I then went back to Control Panel/Programs/Default Programs/Set Associations and saw that the .PDF was now associated with "Foxit Reader Document." Since I still had Adobe Reader installed, I selected "Change Program" and selected Adobe Reader as the Current Default. The PDF Description changed from PDF File to Adobe Acrobat Document, just like you said it needed to in order to launch correctly. I then ran a test print and Adobe Reader launched correctly. Problem Solved!! Thank you for your assistance. Hopefully this procedure will assist other doPDF users.

LoneRider

Post by LoneRider »

I had the same issue that RLS encountered. In my case, it showed up upon installation in Windows 7 Professional (with *all* Windows Updates current to 9/3/12) executing in a Parallels Virtual Machine running on Mac (Lion, version 10.7.4). I took the advice of installing Foxit as my (default) PDF reader and everything worked fine with doPDF (version 7, build 382). My original Acrobat Reader is version 10.1.4. At this point, I like the Foxit Reader as it seems to be very fast, so I'll stick with it. If problems arise, I'm confident now that I can switch the file association back to Acrobat and encounter the same success as documented above by RLS.
So kudos for posting this issue and providing me with a solution, although it still seems a bit odd that the problem ever should have occurred in the first place.