Sequence of documents

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Hi, I have just installed doPDF today. Found it easy to convert a batch of six .jpg files into a single .pdf.

I want the files to appear in the pdf in a particular order. Can I control the sequence through doPDF?

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi Peter,

You cannot control the order of the images with doPDF before/after the PDF is created. In order to have them listed in the PDF in a particular order, you'll have to do that before printing to doPDF.
If you're using the Windows Photo Printing Wizard I think it will send the photos in the order they are shown in the initial display (before starting the printing) so make sure you have them in the right order before printing.

Follow us to stay updated:

Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Hi,

thanks for the clarification. I appreciate this may be outside your scope, but I'll try anyway!

I am working with six .jpg files, named ABC1, ABC2, to ABC 6. I am opening the files with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, then printing with the Photo Printing Wizard.

When I open the Pictures & Fax Viewer, the files are displayed in sequence, but the first page shown may not be 1 - e.g. 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2.

When I proceed to the Printing Wizard, the order of the images in the Picture Selection page seems to be random - so they are sent to the printer (doPDF) in a random sequence.

So it looks like I will have to stay with single-page pdfs (unless you know a way to re-format several pdfs into a sinle pdf).

Thanks anyway for your prompt response.

Claudiu (Softland)

Peter, try bypassing the Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. You can do so by opening Windows Explorer and selecting the images you want to print, ABC1 through ABC6 (make sure they are ordered in the sequence you want them showing in the pdf, so ABC1 first and ABC6 last) and after they are all selected right-click the first one (but make sure all remain selected) and click on Print - this will make the Photo printing wizard to start, and the order you see the images in there is the order dopdf will print them. I just did a test here and I can maintain the sequence.

Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Problem solved! Thanks for your help, really glad I asked.

It might be worth including this tip in your FAQs/Tutorials.

Claudiu (Softland)

It's not really frequently asked but you're right, it might be a good tip. Added to the FAQ.