security settings

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
anon

Post by anon »

I want to set my PDF so the readers cannot print or edit the PDF. Is there a setting on doPDF for this?

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Sorry no, doPDF does not add restrictions to the PDF.

Follow us to stay updated:

benbon

Post by benbon »

Hi,

I just joined and have read all discussions in the Forum with great interest. What confuses me is if a file is converted to .pdf it should disable recipients from editing it, yet according to you it can't because doPDF does not add restrictions. I thought one of the main purposes of pdf is security of documents.
Another point if you don't mind. When a Word doc in printed via doPDF print default and saved in a separate file, does this mean that this saved file will be in pdf format and that I could send it by email to others without the risk of them editing it?
My main objective in wanting pdf conversion of my documents is to be able to dessiminate useful and copyright information securely.

Thank you very much. I am very much a novice at this.

Benbon

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hi Benbon,

Sorry but doPDF cannot restrict the pdf in any way, so if the person receiving the PDF file has knowledge on how to modify the PDF it will be possible to do.
We do have another product, novaPDF, that allows you to add restrictions to the resulting PDF (you can restrict them from using copy/paste on the text, you can add a password for opening the PDF, more details at http://www.novapdf.com/kb/password-prot ... nt-55.html ). However, this product is commercial.

Follow us to stay updated:

benbon

Post by benbon »

Thank you Softland, you have answered my questions adequately. I realise now that some recipients might be able to modify a pdf document IF they have knowledge and take the trouble. I have tested doPDF and it is satisfactory for my purpose to prevent editing initially.