Not a bad product... but needs a bit of work.

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
Darkbob

Post by Darkbob »

I downloaded this program. Not bad! But there are still a few things this program MUST have before it is really useful.
First, there has to be a way to prevent Adobe from leaping up and taking over your screen when you use this product.
Next, there has to be a way to set the output file name - whether by registry key or command line or whatever. And no, setting the output folder isn't good enough. There has to be a way to prevent users from putting the PDF file in some strange and out of the way place where your program can't find it.
At present CutePDF would be the most comparable product to this one out there. When you pay for the "custom" package, you can set the output file name. And there's no weird Adobe popping up for some random reason.
On the down side, CutePDF doesn't install properly on Windows Vista 64 bit. You have to reboot, turn off the UAC, reboot, install, reboot, turn on the UAC then reboot again.
So I'd say with a few very minor tweaks this product would zoom to #1. Too bad it's been kinda neglected and forgotten. I guess that's what happens to a free program.
--DB

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

First, there has to be a way to prevent Adobe from leaping up and taking over your screen when you use this product.

This will be in the next version.
At present CutePDF would be the most comparable product to this one out there. When you pay for the "custom" package, you can set the output file name. And there's no weird Adobe popping up for some random reason.

We also develop novaPDF (http://www.novapdf.com) which does anything you asked for (and even more). You can set auto-save options, meaning that not only the file will be saved in a specific directory, but you can set macros for what the name would be too. Not to mention that it has profiles, so that you could configure separate settings for each. It also lets you disable opening the pdf at the end of the conversion.
So I'd say with a few very minor tweaks this product would zoom to #1. Too bad it's been kinda neglected and forgotten. I guess that's what happens to a free program.

doPDF is not neglected, just look in the Announcements section to see when the last update was released.

Follow us to stay updated: