DoPDF doc not searchable, original is.

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about doPDF.
upxtech

Post by upxtech »

I have a PDF file that is protected by "protectedpdf". The file is legal and legit, and I have a username and password which gives me rights to the file. However, the username and password is authenticated over the internet. I would like to be able to view/search the file offline on my Archos 7 or phone if I can't get online. I can print the document using doPDF and it looks perfect. However, it is not searchable and I would really like that ability. Any thoughts?

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

if you have a pdf file that allows you to search through it and doesn't have any security restrictions, when you print it to dopdf it will still be searchable. so most likely the pdf you have is also encrypted and doesn't let you copy/paste text, or has other restrictions, which dopdf follows and that's why the resulting pdf is not searchable. sorry but I don't know how you could overpass that legally. I know that Adobe Reader has an option to Save a Copy of the pdf, once you unprotect and open it, did you try using that option?

Follow us to stay updated:

upxtech

Post by upxtech »

No, I'm seeing something about a blank copy. I have rights to this, and I can search and cut/paste the original. My doPDF copy is almost perfect except that I can't search using CTRL-F.

Claudiu (Softland)

so the resulting pdf doesn't contain any text at all? have you tried to print with the option "embed fonts" checked and the same thing happens?

upxtech

Post by upxtech »

No, I'm sorry I'm not being clear. Everything about the PDF converts. It looks perfect. The only thing I can't do is search, which is very important to me. Is there any additional information I can provide?
I am able to cut and paste the original...

Claudiu (Softland)

Printing a searchable pdf to dopdf will result in a non-searchable pdf. One solution would be to copy/paste the text into a new word document for instance and convert that directly with dopdf. However, this might be a lenghty process if the document has quite some text. If I'm not mistaken Adobe Reader (the free one) has an option that once the pdf is opened you can Save As Text, so you might look into doing that to see what it generates and convert the resulting file.